Monday, May 24, 2010

Making Friends

I'd like to say that I've never really had a hard time making friends. However, for whatever reason I was SUPER nervous to move to Nantucket. In fear that I might not (gasp!) make any friends.

Well I know you are all wondering...

I have been making FRIENDS! haha It's been a slow process.

I can't even tell you how many people here have either heard of Park City, vacationed in Park City, or lived in Park City. So everyone seems to have a story for me. Everyone asks me if I'm mormon. I'm not. I let them know that. Then they seem relieved at that answer and have something stupid to tell me about "mormon encounters". It's starting to get a bit annoying. I have A LOT of friends who are LDS. I seem to get really defensive when people talk down on the faith and the people and Utah. Arg! I LOVE saying that I'm from Park City, Utah. Yes, I am originally from California. However, most of my growing up years were spent in the greatest snow on earth.

So back to the subject at hand. Friends. The company I work for, Nantucket Island Resorts, was proud to announce that this summer they are represented by 26 countries at their 5 properties on the island. Needless to say... I've been making friends from ALL over the world. It's been fun. The different cultures, languages, eating preferences, clothing styles, etc. Have really opened my eyes. There are people here that have been on H2B Visas traveling every 6 months to a different location working. I can't even IMAGINE moving that much!

Oh and I have big news! My friend Caroline from The Riverhorse came to visit this weekend. She has spent 2 previous summers on the island, but just wanted to stop in for a visit. It was AWESOME. We went out. We drank. I got hungover (per the usual with these East Coast drinks). We dined. We drank. And we hugged :) I gave her a big hug Sunday night, not sure when our paths would cross again. On Monday morning, while sitting in a Supervisor Training (next to Caroline's roommate from college I might add). We both got text messages around the same time. Both from Caroline. She will be back on Thursday. Back for summer. I'm soooo glad to have her here on the island! I love her so much. She is my soulmate. My dance partner. And my future stretching/power walking/get skinny together friend. Love ya Caro!

Big weekend coming up!
Memorial Day weekend in Nantucket means: FIGAWI!

Mr. Johnny Schnare and Co. will arrive on Friday!
Mr. Van Riley will arrive via Sailboat on Saturday!
I will be there to welcome both with open arms. I'm SO SO SO excited.

Gotta run... Time for bed.

Trying not to get too homesick. Glad to see some familiar faces this weekend!